Rewarding performance and commitment
Passionate and committed employees are the basis for our long-term success. Winning them for Tchibo and keeping them motivated long term basis, offering them development opportunities, and retaining them in the company for the duration are some of the central objectives of our sustainable business activities.
We regard compensation as one of several important factors in attracting talented employees. Our remuneration principles are based on our company values and our business strategy. We recognize our employees’ commitment through fair and performance-related remuneration and a large number of voluntary benefits, and offer them attractive development opportunities. Employees who deepen and expand their knowledge and skills receive special acknowledgment from us – because in doing so they not only develop their own skillset, but also help to advance Tchibo’s development.
In designing our compensation system, we take into account local market requirements and conditions as well as employee performance. We regularly carry out market analyses to ensure that our remuneration level and our benefits package puts us in a good position vis-à-vis competitors, long term. We compare our offer with the latest market developments and adjust it as needed.
We compensate our employees according to the grouping of their position, or employee group:
- The basic salary depends on the job requirements, the importance of their position in the company, and the salary level that is common inside and outside the company. The further salary development during their time with the company depends on the employee’s individual performance and development.
- We acknowledge special achievements and results with a monetary reward in the form of variable remuneration such as bonuses and premiums.
- We assign company cars as a component of remuneration taking into account the market, and the job function.
- Every employee is entitled to a discount on Coffee and Non Food items.
Fair pay for men and women
By compensating all employees according to their employee group, we ensure that compensation is set on a consistent and non-discriminatory basis. Employees can view the compensation policy on the intranet. In addition, compliance with compensation decisions is regularly reviewed by the Human Resources department to ensure fair implementation. In accordance with the Remuneration Transparency Act, we give employees the opportunity to request information on the distribution of remuneration between male and female employees with the same job function. Employees can submit their requests anonymously to the HR department via the works council and receive the information relevant to them in accordance with legal requirements.
Recognising commitment and dedication: Tchibo Extras
The attractive voluntary employee benefits with which we recognise the dedication and commitment of our employees are an integral part of our corporate culture. These extras include pension schemes, health promotion initiatives, Group accident insurance that provides 24-hour coverage and therefore also extends to their personal life outside of work, as well as employee discounts on Tchibo products and travel. We also promote our employees’ safety of on their way to work with driving safety training, which is subsidised by the employers' liability insurance association.
As part of our company’s health promotion efforts, we offer our employees a comprehensive fitness range, especially with the leisure centre at our Hamburg headquarters. For a fee of just €2 a month they can participate in around seven sports and use the in-house swimming pool and weight room. Employees who live outside Hamburg are offered discounted gym memberships.
Social insurance: beyond active employment
their active employment through various retirement provision measures. For 15 years now, we have offered all employees at Tchibo GmbH and our German subsidiaries a company pension scheme. The capital payment amount depends on the employees’ contractual position and how long they worked for the company. As part of the ‘collective bargaining and statutory pension provisions’, we also offer all Tchibo employees the option of building up an additional pension pot through payments that are exempt from taxes and social security contributions, and to which we make an annual employer contribution upon request. Our employees can also take out direct insurance through the company to cover possible shortfalls and as a further instrument of personal provision. On request, our HR department offers employees consultation about optimal, individual solutions.
Overview of our comprehensive benefits package
- Flexible working hours systems including trust-based working hours, flex-time, part-time and work from home, sabbaticals
- Pension benefits (e.g. group accident insurance, company pension)
- Anniversary gifts
- Preventive healthcare, measures to promote a healthy work-life balance
- Employee discount and monthly coffee allowance
- Subsidised public transport
- Staff restaurant and cafeteria, coffee pantries on all floors with a range of coffee, tea, cocoa and mineral water, free to employees
- Offers at the leisure centre
- A company sports programme
- Day-care places at the City Nord children’s day-care centre and at partner day-care facilities in the surrounding area
- Children’s events
- Seniors events
- Organic Christmas roast
- Organisation of festivals and parties